Newsflash: Group of friends looking to buy need some advice

Lately I’ve been trying to find a house to rent for 4-5 guys. I am living with two of them now and we need to get something bigger and we are hoping to pick up another friend or two to live with. We are all extremely responsible and can afford a monthly rent payment but we are now considering buying since we would waste hundreds of dollars renting with that many people.As a group we can amass a small down-payment but I am worried that we may not be able to save enough to get a place by the time we want to leave. I have heard of 0 down before but there must be a drawback by going this route.I currently make around 15k a year along with one other friends and the other three make around 30k a yearJust looking for some helpful advice about thus since we are young I’d like to be prepared and know our options going into this.Thanks for your timeEdit: looking for advice about normal down payments and any experience pertaining to co-owners and suggestions on a price of the house we should be looking at in regards to our income. Not looking for parental advice about how this isn’t going to work. Me and my friends have been in school together for more than 8 years together and have been friends for more than 12 years. We don’t let each other suffer and have been living together for 4 years with no problems. Please reply if you have real advice and not just pessimistic opinions. Thanks 🙂

Read more at https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/50i6mg/group_of_friends_looking_to_buy_need_some_advice/?utm_source=ifttt

Advertisements

Newsflash: [GA] Our agent messed up badly and let our due diligence period expire. What are our options?

My boyfriend is buying a house and I will be moving in with him and so I have been involved in the process as well. We found a house we really liked and put in an offer on it, it got accepted after some negotiations.We entered due diligence and got the inspection done and found some major repair items that we wanted to negotiate with the seller on. Nothing unfixable, just some issues that we aren’t willing to pay for at the price we offered initially. We wanted to either receive a credit from the seller or get them to fix them.Now, for some reason, our agent was adamant that we have estimates on repairs from contractors before talking to the sellers about any of the issues. She contacted like 2 General Contractor companies and they were too busy to give estimates and so she just kind of sat there for a while, I guess hoping estimates would fall into her lap. We asked her repeatedly to contact more companies and were also trying to contact our own and having a lot of the same issues of no response or them being too busy. We also asked her several times to at least contact the sellers and let them know we were trying to get estimates.Well, we decided to request an extension a few days before the DD was up but our agent decided to wait until the day DD expired to submit the request. We asked if we had a plan B if they said no or something but we didn’t get anything from her. She told us it had been extended and we kept looking for contractors. Well after not hearing from her all weekend she lets us know that she never heard back from the seller on the request for an extension. This is 3 days after the due diligence period expired. She apparently literally doesn’t know how the contracts work. She never asked us what we wanted to do if we didn’t hear back from the seller or if they rejected our request. She just told us it was all fine and let the due diligence period expire, I assume thinking that somehow not hearing back meant that we magically had extended due diligence.So, due to her tremendous inability to do her job, we are out a lot of money. Either we stay in the transaction and have $10-15k in repairs to look forward to, or we walk and piss away all the earnest money, appraisal, and inspection costs (over $5k) which would also set us back months in being able to look for a house because thats a big financial hit. We would not have bought this house at the initial offer price if we had known about the repairs it needed and we feel like our agent completely let us down. She didn’t advise us or represent our interests at all.Any advice on how to handle this?

Read more at https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/50i8p1/ga_our_agent_messed_up_badly_and_let_our_due/?utm_source=ifttt

Newsflash: Service surveys

I keep getting pestered by everyone I’m working with to fill out surveys on what I think of the service I’m getting, too early on in the process. Redfin when I contacted a realtor through them, the loan company I picked out, and even the appraiser. I’d love to report on the job done, except I don’t feel comfortable giving honest feedback on people who I am still relying on to get work done for me. I also don’t think I can be expected to know my opinion of their work until I see the final product. And the surveys are pretty aggressive saying they have expiration dates and I won’t get another chance.What will happen to me if I’m honest? Will service improve if I’m unhappy? These people are human beings who I would expect would probably want to backburner me on their priorities if I haven’t worked out to improve their work reputation.The loan guy I feel made some pretty hand-wavy promises to get me to sign the contract, and I want to see if those promises are followed through on before issuing my opinion on what a great guy he was. If he follows through, great, I’ll think he’s a master. But if he doesn’t then I will feel like I was lied to to get me to sign a contract. So pretty serious difference of opinion based on how it turns out. But they want me to send out feedback before I see what happens and say its the last day I can ever do so. And now this guy has been removed as my point of contact.My appraiser this morning was kind of a douche. I’m the first appointment of the day and he was 40 minutes late, and he was like hey sorry but you know…trailing off because he’s complete bullshit and had no actual reason. Setting up the appointment was a hassle, even though the loan company ordered him he didn’t set the appointment and I had to chase him down. Then he said he would normally have appraisals done in a couple days but he’s so swamped that he only knows it’ll be some time after the holiday weekend. And now the appraisal has sent me a survey demanding to know what I think and that I only have 48 hours to do so. I don’t want to say what I really think, and have this guy backburner my appraisal in case he thinks I’m being too harsh and sees no point to getting my job done. The loan company is already making noise about rate lock extension fees and the appraisal can really drag things out, I don’t really feel empowered to complain.How are these feedback reports handled? Do they keep it away from the service providers so it doesn’t impact the job if its not done? I mean, sometimes I might be annoyed early on, but by the end then my opinion will have changed to a positive one.

Read more at https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/50ijlc/service_surveys/?utm_source=ifttt

Newsflash: [MI] Any suggestions on where/how to market a home?

First off: I have contracted a realtor to sell my home. It’s not an easy sell as it is a large, historic home that is in need of renovations. The realtor is putting in the most minimal effort to market the house which, essentially, means that the realtor took 30 pictures and listed it on the MLS. I would consider firing the realtor and hiring another except that I live in a small area and she is the best of the bunch not to mention that she is a friend of my wife’s and I don’t want to take the chance that I would piss off her and/or my wife.So, I’m looking for ways that I can market the home myself to increase traffic and appeal to the right kind of buyers. Other than creating a listing on Craigslist which points to the ad on her site, I’m clueless where to start. Any ideas?

Read more at https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/50idy1/mi_any_suggestions_on_wherehow_to_market_a_home/?utm_source=ifttt

Newsflash: New homeowner and curious about what a 2nd mortage is.

Hello, I bought my 1st house 4 yrs ago at age 30. 200k down on a 350k house, about 120k left on mtg and a 3.25% interest rate. Good credit, border line excellent. Im just curious what a 2nd mortgage is and/or if that is the same as refinancing? Either way, I dont know or understand what either are. Could someone explain?TYIA

Read more at https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/50ie5n/new_homeowner_and_curious_about_what_a_2nd/?utm_source=ifttt

Newsflash: Made an offer.

Hey there everyone. My wife and I have been looking at houses for about 2 weeks and have found a great house. We talked with our agent and have submitted an offer on the house for about 4k above asking price.My question to you guys is this. The seller wants to know, if the appraisal comes in higher, would we be able to cover the difference. Now depending on how much the difference is, it would be doable. Would the house have been appraised and already listed around that? Is there a good chance that the appraisal does come in higher? I know its probably impossible to say.Asking was 167k and we offered 171500. House is in Kuna ID, just outside of Boise. I can offer better details if it helps.Thanks!Edit* Huge misunderstanding. It was in reference to the appraisal coming in lower, not higher. There is no way this property gets less than what we offered, from what we can tell.Thanks for all your help everyone!!!!

Read more at https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/50i4f2/made_an_offer/?utm_source=ifttt

New Story Just Out: Test Of Experimental Alzheimer’s Drug Finds Progress Against Brain Plaques

Yet another interesting headline in the world of health and well-being. Test Of Experimental Alzheimer’s Drug Finds Progress Against Brain Plaques
Researchers have failed repeatedly in their efforts to slow or halt Alzheimer’s disease. But there are hints that a new experimental drug can do what previous drugs could not.

Read the full story here

Newsflash: Home warranty company offered cash to replace refrigerator. Is their offer negotiable?

It’s an older refrigerator that has needed repair several times in the last few months by the warranty company. They have now offered to simply give us cash for it ($380). Is this negotiable with the company or do I just have to accept it and move on?

Read more at https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/50hzfy/home_warranty_company_offered_cash_to_replace/?utm_source=ifttt

New Story Just Out: How An Edible Battery Could Power Medical Robots You Swallow

Yet another interesting headline in the world of health and well-being. How An Edible Battery Could Power Medical Robots You Swallow
Tiny devices sent into the human body for diagnosing and treating diseases run on batteries that may contain toxic materials. Researchers have come up with a safer battery made of natural pigments.

Read the full story here